There are many things applicable even today which were postulated or predicted many many years by great thinkers of those times. For instance, Hippocrates,a renowned physician in the Greek period had predicted that parents having distorted vision have children who have squint eyes. True enough. Prediction of such a genetic disorder appears true even in current age and times. Squint eye is nothing but misalignment in vision. People having squint eyes look in different directions as a result of imbalance in eye muscles. A squint eye surgery is a type of an eye muscle repair surgery. According to a new study success rate in eye surgeries are anywhere between 30-80%. Eye muscle surgeries can improve cosmetic appearance but cannot necessarily improve one’s vision.
Who can have a squint eye?
Squint eye can occur in people of any age. But studies have shown that there are few age-groups more likely to have squint eye problem.
- Children- about 5-8% children get affected by squint condition or symptoms of squint eyes
- New-borns- New-borns and infants are likely to be born with this condition or develop it in post birth phase
- Accident Victims- Victims of serious accidents who suffer from head injuries and trauma are likely to have double vision and hence, squint eyes
- People under 40- Squint eye is likely to occur in people who are in the under 40 age bracket
What is squint eye surgery for?
The syndrome also known as strabismus happens when muscles in eyes go out of balance, making the eye turn up, down in or out thus providing abnormal vision to the person.
Surgery for restoring proper vision is prescribed only when other treatment options do not work out. Surgery not only restores proper vision but also helps the eyes work together in tune with each other.
What goes in squint eye surgery?
Squint eye surgery typically gets completed in 30 minutes to 2 hours. It is carried out under a general anesthetic. The doctor uses a speculum to help keep the eyes open for operating on them. The doctor then, creates a small incision in conjunctiva inside eyes for separating muscle from the eye. Part of the muscle is detached for shortening it in order to increase the pulling effect or moving the muscle backwards for weakening the pulling effect. The detached muscles are then stitched up using soluble stitches.
What are the risks involved in this surgery?
There are few risks coming with undergoing surgery for treating squint eye. The risks thus necessitate having a word with your surgeon regarding the risks.
- Redness in eyes- Operated eye remaining red long after surgery is a rare possibility, but still cannot be denied
- Double vision- Chances of double vision or seeing overlapping objects also happens post surgery. Which of course goes away in a week.
- Need of revised surgery- There are many instances where a repeat surgery for the same cause is required. A repeat surgery becomes necessary for many other reasons.
- Severity of squint- A repeat surgery is required if squint in the eye is severe
- Damage to eyes- In rarest cases, there are chances of damage to eyes because of incisions having contact with water or liquid material
- Heavy bleeding- Heavy bleeding and loss of blood can be another possibilities occurring through surgery. Loss of blood could be prevented through blood-thinning medications as advised by doctor.
What is post-operative care to be taken during recovery?
The recovery stage is as important as the operative stage. The care taken during recovery decides how fast or how slow you recover after undergoing surgery. The quality of care taken during recovery is directly proportional to quality of life post surgery. The surgery is a waste if recovery care is taken lightly.
Following tips for recovering after squint eye surgery are essential to be observed:
- Touching or rubbing your eyes- It is important not to touch or rub your eyes constantly, even though they feel itchy
- Keep them free of dirt- Keeping them devoid of any dirt or irritants is paramount too
- Antibiotic eye-drops- Applying medicated eye-drops as prescribed by your doctor helps too
- Eye patches- Children undergoing surgery for squint eye are asked to make use of eye patches if squint is severe. Using eye patches helps develop areas in brain managing vision, function better.
Condition of the squint eye is very rare. You can find cost-effective centers for squint eye surgery in India.
Poushali is an M.Phil in English literature and likes to explore genres related to arts and aesthetics. She is an ardent believer of the ‘learning, unlearning and relearning’ process. She truly enjoys knowing and writing on different concepts.