To understand how to get smooth skin, we first need to understand why we get rough skin. It’s all about dehydration. Dryness can lead to the build-up of dead skin cells, which can leave your skin looking and feeling rough. Skin does naturally renew itself with newer skin cells, however as you get older, this process will slow down, leaving you with skin that doesn’t feel too great.
Certain skin conditions also play a role in the prominence of dead skin cells, which can lead to bumpier skin. How the public and yourself view skin is completely subjective, so don’t be hard on yourself! We understand though, that the thought of rough skin doesn’t fill people with joy. That’s why we’ve put together some tips on how to get smooth skin below.
10 tips on how to get smooth skin
- Exfoliate regularly- Think of exfoliating like sanding down a piece of wood: before sanding, it can be very coarse. After sanding the wood, it acts as a blank canvas. You can use the wood as a sculpture, a table and pretty much anything! This is how your face works- especially if you plan on wearing makeup. Sometimes if you don’t exfoliate, the added foundation can appear clumpy. On the other hand, if you exfoliate too much your skin can appear red, become hypersensitive, cause breakouts and even sting when you apply certain products. The trick is getting the right balance, experts recommend exfoliating 2-3 times a week providing that your skin isn’t sensitive.
- Drink plenty of water- Water keeps your body hydrated and helps the elasticity of the skin. It is advised by the NHS that you should drink 6-8 cups of water per day which also includes non-sugary drinks like milk, tea or coffee. People who drink large amounts of water are less likely to suffer from scars and wrinkles. A tasty way of getting your water in and improving your skin is by drinking green tea. Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties which can reduce skin irritation, skin redness and swelling.
- Use the right moisturizer- The question is, are you using the right type of moisturiser for your skin? Everybody has a different skin type, so finding the moisturiser to suit your skin is crucial to its appearance. Figure of Health works with herbalife and creates great products with all the perfect properties which make your skin feeling and looking smooth. How to get smooth skin using customised moisturiser: Dry skin/mature skin– Use a heavy, oil-based moisturizer Oily skin/combination skin– Use a lighter, water-based moisturizer Sensitive skin– Use natural products from aloe vera that won’t be as harsh on the skin (You can also eat or drink aloe Vera)
- Don’t forget the sun cream- We should always use sun cream whenever we’re out of the sun to protect us from the sun’s harmful rays. The ultraviolet radiation from the sun can lead to skin cancer, discoloration and wrinkles over time.
- Eat and apply your vitamins and minerals- How to get smooth skin can depend on what you eat. Eating and applying vitamins and minerals to your skin can translate to a reduction in: dark spots, redness, wrinkles, rough patches and excessive dryness. It’s really no wonder why parents go on about eating your greens! If you don’t have the time to cook and prepare meals, you can try to get your supplements from protein shakes which include some of the vital components to healthy skin. Some of the best vitamins for your skin include vitamin D, Vitamin C, vitamin E and Vitamin K. You can find these vitamins in foods like Salmon, oranges, spinach, nuts and seeds and green beans. An easier way to get the moisture onto your skin is by applying creams or lotions with these vitamins in it.
- Make your area humid- Air humidifiers can help to improve the balance between your skin and air to prevent excess water loss from the skin. This can help prevent dryness which can cause irritation all over the body.
- Use Hyaluronic Acid- Hyaluronic acid is already produced by your body with it’s main function to retain water, keeping your skin tissue moist and well lubricated. It even has the ability to speed up wound healing! You can use this acid daily onto damp skin and lock it in using a moisturiser.
- Use Alpha Hydroxy Acid- This acid is great for making your skin smooth as it removes the top layer of dead skin cells and increases the thickness of deeper layers of skin, promoting firmness. They have an array of other benefits including improving the skin’s brightness, promoting blood flow to the skin, helping minimise and correct discoloration and prevent acne.
- Use facemasks- Using facemasks can help to moisturise dry skin, refine pores, improve the skin’s overall texture and absorb excess oil and dirt. You should apply a facemask once per week and leave the mask on the skin for 10-30 minutes (or however long they recommend).
- Invest in a konjac sponge- These sponges were originally used as a way for japanese farmers to cleanse a baby’s skin, so if you have sensitive skin, you needn’t worry. This sponge will help clear your skin of dead skin cells and remove dry skin without making you itch. You can use this sponge daily along with your daily cleansing routine.