Each body system relies on oxygen. Starting from cognition to digestion, breathing not only provides a greater sense of mental clarification, but also improves sleep quality, helps in food digestion more efficiently, decreases stress levels, and enhances the body’s immune response. Effective breathing is done by the respiratory system of the body including nose, pharynx, larynx, trachea, bronchi and lungs. The respiratory tract is the subdivision of the respiratory system consisting of the process of respiration.
The wellness of the respiratory tract is needed to ensure a good breathing process. Any infection or disease developing in the respiratory tract can give a negative effect on breathing mechanism. The infections of the respiratory tract are termed as respiratory tract infections, which is our today’s topic to read. We will also study some herbs effective in treating this undesired condition.
What are Respiratory Tract Infections?
Respiratory tract infections can be defined as the infectious diseases occurring in the respiratory tract. Respiratory tract infections can be classified into two categories on the basis of their occurrence location:
- Upper Respiratory tract Infections: The infectious diseases occurring in the upper respiratory tract are called as upper respiratory tract infection. This tract includes the airway above the glottis or vocal cords. The nose, sinuses, pharynx and larynx are the parts of the upper respiratory tract. The typical infections occurring in this tract are tonsillitis, common cold, several types of influenza, sinusitis, laryngitis, etc.
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infections: The infectious diseases occurring in the lower respiratory tract are called lower respiratory tract infections. This tract consists of trachea, bronchial tubes, bronchioles and the lungs. Infections occurring in the lower tract are more severe than upper tract infections. Examples of lower tract infections are bronchitis, pneumonia, several types of pneumonia, etc.
There are a variety of causes giving rise to respiratory tract infection
Causes of upper respiratory infections involve:
- Common Cold
- Acute Ear Infection
- Acute Pharyngitis
Causes of lower respiratory infections involve:
The signs and symptoms observed in the patient of respiratory tract infections are:
- Congestion (either in the lungs and nasal sinuses)
- Severe cough
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Body aches
The symptoms needed to be consult doctor immediately are:
- Loss of consciousness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Suffering from fever over 39° C (103° F)
It is quite difficult to avoid bacteria and viruses which can cause infections in the respiratory tract. There are several factors triggering the risk of developing respiratory drug infections. These factors are:
- Weak Immune System: Children and older adults have weak immune systems which can increase their risk of being prone to infections in the respiratory tract.
- Children are at highly increased risk as they remain constantly in contact with other children who may contain virus carriers. They often don’t wash their hands and rub their hands on their eyes, or insert fingers in their mouths. It increases the risk of infections.
- Existing patients of the cardiovascular system or people suffering from lung disorders can get affected by respiratory tract infections more easily.
- Smokers also have an increased risk of infections.
There are several complications associated with the respiratory tract infection. These complications may show extremely serious effects and can result in death also. These complications include:
- Congestive heart failure
- Respiratory failure, a condition in which CO2 increases in blood due to abnormal functioning of the lungs
- Respiratory arrest, a condition in which lungs stops working
To diagnose infection of the respiratory tract, the doctor examines the breathing of the individual. The doctor will check for inflammation in the lungs and also check if any fluid accumulation is done inside or near the lungs. The abnormal sounds of breathing help the doctor to determine working of the lung more easily. The doctor may peer into the ears, nose and examine the throat.
In the case of lower respiratory tract infections, the doctor may recommend CT scan and an X-ray to analyze the lungs condition.
The doctor may also prescribe a lung function test which can be used as a diagnostic tool. Pulse oximetry would also be performed to check the amount of oxygen is reaching to the lungs.
Best Herbs for Respiratory Tract Infections
The best way to get rid of respiratory tract infections is to consume herbs. Herbs are natural substances containing various medicinal properties. The best herbs to treat respiratory tract infections are:
1. Guduchi (Tinospora Cordifolia)
Guduchi is a well-known Ayurvedic herb containing multiple health beneficial properties. This herb is used to maintain the health of lungs, immune system, skin, normal blood pressure, body temperature, and sugar level. By using standardized extract of Guduchi herb, Planet Ayurveda prepared GUDUCHI POWDER to help the patients suffering from infections in the respiratory tract. This powder is very beneficial and shows very positive effects to the patient.
2. Manjishtha Herb (Rubia cordifolia)
The Latin name of Manjishtha is Rubia cordifolia. This herb is astringent, bitter and sweet in taste. It is heavier with hot potency. Main use of this herb is to treat the disorders caused due to Kapha dosha (congestion, cough and cold). This herb also contains the properties of treating skin disorders, blood disorders, wound, diabetes and herpes. Planet Ayurveda’s MANJISHTHA CAPSULES consist of the best quality extract of Manjishtha herb. These capsules are very advantageous in treating respiratory tract infections.
3. Curcumin (Curcuma longa)
Curcumin is a traditional herb used from ancient times for various purposes. Almost every Indian kitchen contains curcumin as it is used as spice in making vegetables and also used as an antiseptic. Consumption of curcumin provides strength to the immune system and soothes various disorders induced with Kapha. By taking pure quality extracts of curcumin, Planet Ayurveda formulates CURCUMIN CAPSULES. All products of Planet Ayurveda are totally safe, natural and don’t contain any artificial substance in them.
4. Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
Yashtimadhu herb is popularly known for treatment and prevention of oral mucositis and various diseases of the respiratory tract. This herb is cool in potency, sweet in taste and heavy in nature. Yashtimadhu herb is very beneficial for the treatment of eye disorders, immunity enhancement, improving voice quality, skin health and treating numerous disorders induced by cough. You can use this herb by making decoction at home but it is quite tough to find pure extract of Yashtimadhu herb in the market. But to assist you with this, Planet Ayurveda prepared YASHTIMADHU POWDER by using the highly pure extract of Yashtimadhu herb.
Along with the herbal remedies, there are also some preventable measures to be followed for getting fast recovery. These preventable measures are:
- Cover your nose and mouth properly, especially when you are sick or going to the dusty place.
- Prevent direct contact with the sick people and cover mouth and nose when visiting someone who is sick.
- Sanitize the things used by a person who is suffering from respiratory tract infections.
- Stay home if you are feeling sick.
After reading this article, we get enough knowledge regarding infections of the respiratory tract and how one can treat his/her infections by using herbs. Herbs are gifts of nature consisting of various healing powers and providing longevity not only to the humans but also the animals. Above given four herbs are very effective in treating the infections of the respiratory tract in a natural way. You can use these herbs by consuming Ayurvedic medicines prepared by Planet Ayurveda as these herbal remedies show a very positive impact on the body.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an Expert Ayurveda Consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. He researched age old formulas from ancient Ayurvedic text books to restore health and save human beings from the worst side-effects of chemical-based treatments. https://www.planetayurveda.com